MSA is looking for committed, enthusiastic people with a sense of humor to join our team! Main Street Alliance is committed to equal opportunity, and are considering applicants of all races, gender, ages, sexual orientations, national origins, ethnicities, religion, and abilities. We urge people of color, and experienced organizers and activists of all backgrounds, to apply.
Location: Can be remote, but Sacramento Area, CA preferred
Position Overview: Main Street Alliance (501(c)(3)) and Main Street Alliance Action Fund (501(c)(4)) are seeking a Part-Time (with possibility to grow into Full-Time) Operations Associate to support a variety of bookkeeping and human resource needs with Main Street Alliance/Action Fund.
About Main Street Alliance: Main Street Alliance is a national network of state-based small business coalitions working to elevate the voices of small business owners on issues that impact their businesses, their employees, and the communities that they serve. Founded in 2008 to ensure that small business owners voices were heard in the campaign to win affordable health care, Main Street Alliance now works on a range of issues in cities and states across the country. Our policy agenda includes job quality issues like paid family & medical leave and earned sick and safe time, access to credit, health care, immigration and tax and budget fairness. We are led by a diverse group of small business owners at the state and national levels.
Job Responsibilities: Handle financial transactions, keep accurate records and ensure that payments are processed. A typical day of work includes processing invoices, filing tax forms, and making bank deposits from inside the office, with occasional trips outside. Some key responsibilities include:
- Manage Day-to-Day Payments: Process accounts receivable and payable, which includes regularly creating invoices, track and process staff expenses, making bank deposits, producing checks and ACH transfers, and preparing wire transfers.
- Record Monetary Transactions: Track and monitor financial transactions, noting important details and integrating this information into records on a daily basis in Quickbooks.
- Payroll: Help with end-to-end payroll processing with payroll company — includes: employee timekeeping, paid time off tracking, payroll balancing and distribution, and overall checking for accuracy.
- Create Financial Reports: Consolidate financial data and generate balance sheets, cash flow statements, profit and loss reports, and other summarizing documents.
- Perform Administrative Duties: Organize data and paperwork, support MSA Team with scheduling meetings, sending out reminders, agendas, etc. Other administrative duties may also include data entry and database upkeep, preparing acknowledgments to donors, up-keep of personnel files.
- Handle Bank Reconciliations: Perform bank reconciliations to check financial records match up with the corresponding bank statement, ensure the integrity of data and correct discrepancies right away.
- Compliance Reporting: Track, manage, and execute regular reporting as necessary. This includes business registrations, charity registrations, employee and UI registrations, and others.
- Associate’s degree and/or 2 years administration experience including filing, editing, tracking data and maintaining data.
- Demonstrated commitment to social and economic justice, especially work with business owners from immigrant communities and communities of color.
- Self-starter, able to work independently.
- Detail oriented with very strong organizational skills.
- Strong experience with Quickbooks, cash and accrual accounting.
- Experience with regular state and federal compliance reporting.
- Demonstrated ability to maintain confidentiality and handle sensitive information.
- Experience developing and editing content in Google Suite and Microsoft Suite; Experience with Adobe Creative Suite a plus.
- Ability to communicate to employees at all levels with tact and diplomacy.
- Problem-solving skills and the ability to implement administrative policies effectively in a given situation.
Supervision: The Operations Associate is supervised by and accountable to the MSA Deputy Director.
Evaluation: There will be an evaluation at the three month anniversary and each year at year end after that. The review
process will include feedback from affiliates, a self-evaluation, and an oral review meeting that will be
summarized in a written evaluation and placed in the personnel file.
Compensation: $24-28/hour, non-exempt, part-time to start (up to 28 hours/week). We offer a robust benefits package including paid time off for all staff as well as
insurance, retirement and others for all full time employees.
To Apply: Email a single PDF containing a cover letter, resume, and references to firstname.lastname@example.org with Operations Associate in subject line.
Deadline: May 18, 2020