We are looking for committed, enthusiastic people with a sense of humor to join our organizing team! Main Street Alliance is committed to equal opportunity, and are considering applicants of all races, gender, ages, sexual orientations, national origins, ethnicities, religion, and abilities. We urge people of color, and experienced organizers and activists of all backgrounds, to apply.
Job Title: Small Business Organizer
Location: Minneapolis, MN
Position Overview: The Main Street Alliance/Action Fund Organizer conducts grassroots outreach and engagement to develop small business leaders to build power, shape narrative and the public opinion toward long-term structural change through ambitious coordinated national and state campaigns and policy.
The Small Business Organizer works with Main Street Alliance staff and local and statewide allies to develop a coordinated organizing plan, conduct direct canvass-based outreach to recruit and develop small business leaders, and mobilize small business owners to impact decision-makers, opinion leaders and the media. This position involves frequent travel around the Twin Cities and also my require travel across Minnesota.
- Organize. Develop small business leaders to build power in Minneapolis and statewide
- Execute sharp and strategic campaigns. Use your outreach, store to store canvassing, campaign, organizing and leadership development skills execute strategic campaigns developed as a team.
- Relationship development and management. Develop and maintain relationships with small business owners across the state.
- Make No Small Plans. But do make well-written ones. Work with the team to develop monthly (and longer-term) work plans to drive campaigns forward.
- Look to the long-term. Push every campaign to address not just the short-term gains but how they interact with Main Street Alliance’s long-term goals.
- Build deep trust. Listen to and Invest in relationships with members, leaders, allies and staff in order to deeply understand their self-interest.
- Be inclusive. Recognize and appreciate different ways of working and being.
- Be proactive. Ask questions. Look for new ways to engage. Take ownership of your work and bring ideas to the table.
- Model our values and culture. Model optimism inside and outside the organization, and reinforce our core values and culture. Model transparent and accountable decision- making, and build this culture on staff.
We aren’t just working to win campaigns. We are building a movement of small business owners to fight for racial and economic justice.
- Recruit and support small businesses on c3 voter registration, education and outreach with their customers, employees and community in advance of the 2020 election
- Support members and small businesses in hosting and collaborating around events to encourage civic engagement and participation in the election
- Store to store canvassing of business owners to understand the concerns and priorities of small businesses and the gaps in the ecosystem of support
- Build relationships with small business allies to develop a shared agenda around racial equity in business ownership
- Convene meetings of small businesses to discuss economic development at the city and state level
The ideal candidate should have the following experience and qualifications:
- A minimum of 2-3 years experience community/grassroots organizing, political campaigns and/or legislative work where you had success in canvass-based organizing and executing campaign plans.
- Similar level of experience developing member leaders.
- Deep commitment to a vision of racial, social, and economic justice and to building the collective voice of small business owners.
- Strong interpersonal and organizational communication skills.
- Ability to work independently and strong time management skills.
- Ability and willingness to travel regularly.
- Ability to speak Spanish or other languages a plus.
Salary & Benefits
Salary range is $50-55,000, DOE. Our competitive benefits package includes family medical, dental, vision and long term disability insurance; 401(k) plan with 3% employer contribution after one year of employment; paid time off at the end of December in addition to paid sick days and paid vacation.
To apply, e-mail a cover letter, resumé and references to: firstname.lastname@example.org and email@example.com with subject line: MN Small Business Organizer