Politicians, pundits, and the media are listening to the voices of the business community but too often big business dominates the narrative. Traditional business associations and corporate lobbyists speak for small business owners, rather than letting Main Street business owners speak for yourself. It's time to take back your voice, tell your story, and set the record straight on the issues impacting your business and your community.
No matter the issue large or small, we know you have a story to tell, Your story and opinion can guide public policy decisions and inform fellow business owners. Some topics lawmakers are focused on include:
- Taxes and budget: The president and Republicans in Congress passed a tax plan that gave massive tax cuts to Big Business and the super wealthy, by gutting Medicaid, Medicare, Social Security, education and other key programs. As a business owner, what do you need instead of tax giveaways to Big Business? What government programs are particularly important to you, your business and your customers? (i.e. Medicaid, Medicare, Social Security, education, infrastructure, etc.) From what you've experienced so far, has the tax plan created and economy that helps small businesses? What is it like to compete with big corporations? Share your story!
- Health care: How has the GOP’s sabotage of the Affordable Care Act affected you and your business? Are you or your family personally covered through the ACA? Are your employees covered through the marketplace? Have your premiums or out of pocket costs risen? If so, how has that affected your business? Are you worried about losing coverage because of a preexisting condition? What needs to been done to protect and improve the ACA for small businesses? We want to hear your story!
- Access to capital: Have you struggled to access the capital you need to grow and expand your business? Were you successful in securing capital and want to help others? Have you been a victim of predatory small business lending? Do you think banks are doing enough to help small businesses? How can they help level the playing field for small business to compete better with large corporations? Share your story!
- Paid sick days and paid family leave: Do you offer paid sick and safe time or paid family and medical leave at your business? How have the policies impacted your bottom line? How has it impacted employee satisfaction and retention? How has it affected productivity? Tell us!
- Child care: Have child care obligations affected your business? Is it hard for you or your employees to find reliable, high-quality and affordable child care? Do you offer child care through your business? How has that affected employee morale and productivity? Do you own a home- or center-based child care business? Let us know!
- Immigration: GOP attacks against Dreamers and other hardworking, tax-paying and economy-boosting immigrants are destabilizing communities and the small business economy. Has the Republican anti-immigrant agenda affected you, your business or your employees? Share your thoughts!