Job Title: Senior Organizing/Field Strategist
Location: Washington, DC or Remote
Job Description: Main Street Alliance (501(c)(3)) and Main Street Action (501(c)(4)) are seeking a Senior Organizing/Field Strategist to drive organization-wide priorities in the field, in particular priorities focused on building power, shaping narrative and public opinion toward long-term structural change. The Senior Organizing/Field Strategist will work with national and state staff to build, test, and develop new organizing strategies, align issue campaigns, policy, strategy, power building, and leadership development.
We are looking for committed, enthusiastic people with a sense of humor to join our organizing team! Main Street Alliance is committed to equal opportunity, and are considering applicants of all races, gender, ages, sexual orientations, national origins, ethnicities, religion, and abilities. We urge people of color, and experienced organizers and activists of all backgrounds, to apply.
About Main Street Alliance: Main Street Alliance is a national network of state-based small business coalitions working to elevate the voices of small business owners on issues that impact their businesses, their employees, and the communities that they serve. Founded in 2008 to ensure that small business owners voices were heard in the campaign to win affordable health care, Main Street Alliance now works on a range of issues nationally and in cities and states across the country. Our policy agenda includes small business access to grants and credit to survive this pandemic & address racial disparities in small business lending, job quality issues like paid family & medical leave and earned sick and safe time, child care, health care, immigration and tax and budget fairness. We are led by a diverse group of small business owners at the state and national levels.
- Drive Organizational Priorities. Work with senior staff to develop sharp and strategic campaigns using deep campaign, power analysis, and organizing skills. Organize field to implement strategic campaigns to build power. Develop and implement a systematic, data-driven approach to tracking campaign progress to ensure greatest impact.
- Team Management and Development. With other senior staff, implement system to evaluate the skill, experience, and professional development needs of all organizing staff. Implement a professional development program to address employee experience and skill gaps. Work with staff to develop objective performance measurements across all sites, to ensure consistent, high-quality evaluation and goal setting for all employees. Instill a sense of accountability among organizing team members by modeling tight oversight of individual and organization performance standards
- Program Development and Management. Drive the organization forward to build power in states and nationally and win campaigns. Develop and maintain relationships with key partners and stakeholders as necessary to advance organizational priorities.
- Develop and Maintain Strategic Partnerships. Create and maintain relationships with other allied organizations.
- Make no small plans. But do make well-written ones. Work with team to develop monthly (and longer-term) work plans to drive work forward.
- Look to the long-term. Push every campaign to address not just the short-term gains but how they interact with Main Street Alliance’s long-term goals.
- Build deep trust. Invest in relationships with members, leaders and staff in order to deeply understand their self-interest.
- Be inclusive. Recognize and appreciate different ways of working and being.
- Be proactive. Ask questions. Look for new ways to engage. Take ownership of your work and bring ideas to the table.
- Bachelor’s degree in related field required, advanced degree preferred
- At least five years of senior nonprofit management experience in similar roles with increasing responsibility.
- At least three years of experience managing or supervising other staff.
- Demonstrated track record of transparent and high integrity leadership.
- High level strategic thinking and planning. Ability to envision and convey the organization’s strategic future to the staff, board, volunteers and donors.
- Ability to effectively communicate the organization’s mission to donors, volunteers and the overall community.
- Must demonstrate a deep commitment to a vision of racial, social, and economic justice and to building the collective voice of small business owners.
- Demonstrated ability to oversee and collaborate with staff.
- Previous success in establishing relationships with individuals and organizations of influence including funders, partner agencies and volunteers.
- Solid organizational abilities, including planning, delegating, program development and task facilitation.
- Strong financial management skills, including budget preparation, analysis, decision making and reporting.
- Strong written and oral communication skills.
- Strong public speaking ability.
- Strong work ethic with a high degree of energy.
- Fluency to read, write and speak/listen in English required; ability to speak, read, write in other languages, especially Spanish, is preferred.
- Advanced, demonstrated familiarity and comfort in using Google Suite, Microsoft Office suite, Zoom, Outlook, Quickbooks, Excel and other forms of customary office equipment or software.
Compensation & Benefits:
Salary range depends on experience; full-time employee. Our competitive benefits package includes family medical, dental and vision insurance; 401(k) plan with 3% employer contribution; life insurance; and paid time off at the end of December in addition to paid family and medical leave, paid vacation and sick time.
How to Apply:
To apply, e-mail one single PDF including a over letter, resume, writing sample and salary requirements and at least 3 references to: email@example.com and firstname.lastname@example.org with subject line: “Senior Field/Organizing Strategist”
Deadline to Apply: Position is open until filled.