Members of the Minnesota Legislature,
Millions of employees across the country are working hard to make ends meet, but our nation is falling short of providing them the support they need to manage the demands of job and family.
Paid family and medical leave is a policy most employees will need at one point or another, but only 13 percent of the countries workforce has access to paid family leave through their employers.
Our communities are missing out on the economic stability and economy-boosting effects of keeping people employed while welcoming a new family member, caring for sick loved one, or recovering from their own illness or injury.
It is time lawmakers leveled the playing field for small business owners and put in place a policy and administrative office to help us meet the needs of our employees in ways that, to this point, only our largest competitors can.
In Minnesota, The Paid Family and Medical Leave Act would create a state-administered, self-sustaining insurance program providing Minnesota workers with modest but meaningful benefits, up to 12 weeks of partial wage replacement for medical (including pregnancy) AND up to 12 weeks for family leave (including new child bonding) from a state fund, so Minnesotans can take care of themselves and their families.
To work for small businesses, the Paid Family & Medical Leave Act must be:
- Meaningful: Provide up to 12 weeks of partial wage replacement for pregnancy, medical, or family leave. Replace wages on a progressive scale at 90%-55% of an employee’s salary
- Comprehensive and specific in addressing both family and medical needs. An inclusive family definition should be used to cover the range of family configurations and care responsibilities that business owners and their employees face.
- Inclusive All individuals who work, including self employed individuals, should have the ability to earn extended leave from work to care for their families or themselves, without fear of losing their job.
- Simple. The implementation process should be simple and minimize the administrative responsibilities of small business owners.
- Sustainable Funding Financed in a way that is affordable and cost effective for small business owners and their employees.
A statewide paid family and medical leave insurance program would benefit our employees, their families, our businesses and our economy and we strongly urge your support.
The cost of inaction on paid family and medical leave by Sarah Piepenburg, Owner of Vinaigrette, April 26th, 2019
Why I’m for Minnesota-backed paid family leave (and every business that wants to be around in 15 years should be, too) by Nancy Lyons, owner of Clockwork, March 11th, 2019
Paid family leave makes sense for small businesses and their employees by Thea Farrington, owner of Perfect Day Cakes and Central Park Café, December 21st, 2018
Paid-leave bill will benefit employees and small businesses alike by Todd Mikkelson, owner of Sprayrack, April 7th, 2016
Read a simple summary of the legislation from Minnesotans for Paid Family and Medical Leave
See our Fact Sheet
Read HF5 Paid Family & Medical Leave Legislation HERE
More resources including videos, surveys, research and more HERE
Like Minnesotans for Paid Family Leave on Facebook