Open until filled. Applicants will be considered on a rolling basis.Job Title: Temporary Small Business Organizer
Position Summary: The Small Business Organizer will conduct outreach to small business owners and support businesses working with The Main Street Alliance of Vermont, an affiliate of the national Main Street Alliance network, to advance public policies that benefit small business owners, their employees, and the communities they serve. The Main Street Alliance of Vermont Small Business Organizer will work with Main Street Alliance staff to develop a coordinated organizing plan, conduct direct canvass-based outreach, help implement a grassroots fundraising plan, and support other activities related to Main Street Alliance projects. This position requires frequent travel around the state.
The Main Street Alliance of Vermont Small Business Organizer reports to the Main Street Alliance of Vermont State Director.
The responsibilities of The Main Street Alliance of Vermont Small Business Organizer relate primarily to outreach and recruitment of small business owners to our network to engage decision-makers, the media, and the public in support of public policy issues like health care reform, fair taxes, and community-centered workplace policy reform. Responsibilities include:
- Work with Vermont and national Main Street Alliance staff to develop a coordinated outreach plan for the state and participate in the development of the Main Street Alliance network.
- Conduct small business recruitment in key areas around the state using direct canvass-based outreach to small business owners.
- Provide general support to Main Street Alliance of Vermont’s projects.
- Support coordination and implementation of meetings and events in key areas around the state for a variety of purposes.
- Support implementation of a grassroots fundraising plan to support the work of The Main Street Alliance of Vermont.
- Personal commitment to a vision of racial, gender, social, and economic justice and to building the collective voice of small business owners in Vermont.
- Experience in community/grassroots organizing, political campaigns and/or legislative work preferred.
- Strong written, verbal, and interpersonal skills.
- Strong analytic ability and capacity to understand and effectively communicate complex policy issues.
- Ability to produce consistent, high quality work.
- Willingness and ability to travel around the state on a regular basis and to work flexible hours.
- Ability to work independently, solid time management skills.
- Computer skills (word processing, spreadsheet & database management, Power Point, electronic communications, social media).
- Temporary position through Fall 2015
- Position is part-time: 3 days/week
- $15.00 per hour.
- Mileage reimbursement.
- Competitive paid time off benefit.
We are looking for committed, enthusiastic people with a sense of humor and a strong work ethic to join our Vermont team and grow our organization. The Alliance for a Just Society and Main Street Alliance are committed to equal opportunity, and encourage applicants of all races, gender, ages, sexual orientations, national origins, ethnicities, religion, and abilities.
Do you like this post?