Providing a Public Policy Voice for Small Business
We bring small business values into the public dialogue to advance policies that are good for small businesses, our employees and the communities that sustain us.
Join the Iowa Main Street Alliance to help get small business voices heard!
Who we are
Iowa Main Street Alliance is a partner of Iowa Citizen Action Network. Our members are small business owners/ entrepreneurs/ farmers from across the state who are dedicated to giving a voice to small business.
How we work
- Too often, small businesses are “spoken for” by corporate lobbyists who claim to represent us but are really pushing a Big Business agenda.
- We’re changing that by creating opportunities for small business owners to speak for ourselves – face to face with decision-makers, at public events and through the media. And we’re making an impact.
- Ending the special Bush tax cuts for the top 2 percent. The name of small business is being used by special interest groups to protect extra tax breaks for the wealthiest Americans. Real small business owners can’t let this identity theft – stealing our good name to advance a special interest agenda – go unchallenged.
- Closing tax loopholes for big business. Small business owners see corporate tax loopholes and accounting gimmicks used to shift U.S. profits offshore to avoid taxes as serious problems.all business owners say big corporations and the wealthy don’t pay their fair share of taxes. They support increasing taxes on millionaire incomes, allowing high-end tax cuts to expire, and closing the carried interest loophole that gives big tax breaks to hedge fund managers.
- Jobs and the economy: With people losing their jobs due to the recession, we’ve lost customers and business. We support policies to get people back to work and restore our customer base.
- Issues that are important to YOU: as a coalition, we need input from our members; your concerns will help shape our priorities going forward.
The Main Street Alliance is working with allies in Iowa to create more economy-boosting jobs. We know that strong investment in our employees is the smartest investment in our businesses. Our employees are our neighbors’ customers, and their employees are ours–when everyone in our communities can afford to live, our businesses and economy thrive!
If you’re interested in learning more or getting involved, contact us at info[at]mainstreetalliance.org