Job Title: Co-Executive Director
Location: Washington, DC (remote work may be possible)
Small business owners are a critical voice in the relief and rebuilding agenda for our rural communities, urban centers, states and nation. Main Street Alliance and Main Street Action and our values based small business owners play an important role in advancing policies for a just economy with access to capital, good government, quality jobs, and public investment.
We are looking for a dynamic, talented committed, coalition-building, strategic and enthusiastic Co-Executive Director to direct Main Street Alliance and Main Street Action to grow a powerful, progressive voice for small business owners across the country.
About the Main Street Alliance: Founded in 2008, the Main Street Alliance (MSA) is a growing national network of state-based small business coalitions working to ensure that the voices of real small business owners are heard on public policy issues that are critical to their businesses, their employees, and the communities that they serve. Small business owners are a powerful constituency and serve as trusted messengers with public officials, the media, and the general public. MSA implements game-changing strategies that shift debates over critical economic and racial justice issues, impacting public policy debates at the local, state and national levels.
All of MSA’s work is delivered through a racial and gender justice and equity lens. We work on the ground to organize business owners to advocate for smart policies that help entrepreneurs, families and communities. MSA develops strong small business voices in three core program areas: Prosperous Local Economies, Smart Public Investment, and Good Government.
Position Overview: The Co-ED will have both internal and external facing responsibilities, ranging from being the public face of the MSA Project, to program management (campaigns, development, strategy, etc.), and human capital (HR/recruiting, mentoring, career progression, compliance). The Co-Executive Director will partner closely with the other Co-ED, other Directors and Board to chart MSA’s future growth and strategic response to an ever-increasing demand for the organization’s services as well as the ongoing development of other small business ecosystem projects and capacities.
- Drive Organization Mission, Vision and Strategy - work with board and staff to ensure that the vision and mission are fulfilled through programs, strategic planning and community outreach.
- Organization Fundraising and Operations - oversee and implement appropriate resources to ensure that the operations of the organization are appropriate.
- Media and Other Public Partnerships - work with staff to develop a public media profile as an MSA spokesperson and thought leader on small business issues – Excellent communicator, experienced in working with media as spokesperson.
- Financial Performance and Viability – fundraising to develop and maintain sufficient resources to ensure the financial health and sustainability and growth of the organization.
- Model MSA Values and Culture - be inclusive, proactive, equitable.
- Strong Organizing Skills - experience organizing successful policy campaigns and building diverse, successful coalitions
- Big Picture, Bold, Strategic Thinking
- Passionate about the MSA Mission – demonstrate a deep commitment to challenging the neo-liberal corporate agenda.
Education and Experience Required:
- Bachelor’s degree in related field required, advanced degree preferred.
- At least five years of senior nonprofit management experience in similar roles with increasing responsibility.
- At least three years of experience managing or supervising other staff.
- Advanced, demonstrated familiarity and comfort in using Google Suite, Microsoft Office suite, Zoom, Outlook, Quickbooks, Excel and other forms of customary office equipment or software.
Compensation & Benefits
We offer a competitive salary and benefits package which includes employer paid medical, dental, and vision insurance for staff member, spouse and dependents, as well as long term disability and life insurance; employer sponsored 401(k) retirement plan; paid family and medical leave; paid sick days; and 2 weeks paid time off at the end of the year in addition to paid vacation.
How to Apply
For consideration, e-mail one single PDF including a cover letter, resumé and at least 5 references to: email@example.com with subject line: MSA Co-Executive Director. Rolling deadline for application.
EEO Statement: Acceptance for everyone, everywhere is at the heart of our organization. We promote diversity of thought, culture and background. As such, we are proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, ancestry, national origin, religion or religious creed, mental or physical disability, medical condition, genetic information, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, and related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, marital status, military or veteran status, citizenship, or other characteristics protected by state or federal law or local ordinance.