JOB ANNOUNCEMENT: THE MAIN STREET ALLIANCE IS HIRING!
Deadline to apply: Opened until filled (applications will be considered on a rolling basis)Job Description: Main Street Alliance Minnesota State Director
Location: Minneapolis/St. Paul
General Purpose: The Main Street Alliance (MSA) seeks a state director to develop and launch a new Main Street Alliance Chapter in Minnesota.
About the Main Street Alliance: Founded in 2008, the Main Street Alliance (MSA) is a growing national network of state-based small business coalitions working to ensure that the voices of real small business owners are heard on public policy issues that are critical to their businesses, their employees, and the communities that they serve. Small business owners are a powerful constituency and serve as trusted messengers with public officials, the media, and the general public. MSA implements game-changing strategies that shift debates over critical economic justice issues, impacting public policy debates at the local, state and national levels.
Job Description: The duties of The Main Street Alliance Minnesota State Director focus primarily on grassroots organizing and leadership development, campaign management, fundraising and partner and ally relationship building.
- Work with Main Street Alliance staff and local coalition allies to develop a coordinated small business outreach and organizing plan for the state, and participate in the development of the national Main Street Alliance network.
- Organize statewide and local tactics, action steps and events in coordination with the national small business campaign plan – leverage the voices of small business owners to impact the public debate.
- Conduct small business recruitment drives in key areas around the state using direct canvass-based outreach to recruit small business members; recruit and train volunteers/interns to participate in small business outreach blitzes and other outreach/contact strategies.
- Hold organizing meetings in key areas around the state to build local small business leadership teams, engage small business owners on a deeper level, and identify potential small business spokespeople and candidates for a coalition steering committee.
- Identify and develop small business leadership/spokesperson teams for direct engagement with decision-makers, media opportunities, and peer outreach through one-on-ones, organizing meetings and small business leadership trainings.
- Engage emerging small business leaders in peer outreach and research – collecting petitions and surveys – to develop leadership and build resources for research products.
- Recruit and staff a diverse statewide steering committee and executive steering committee for The Main Street Alliance in Minnesota.
- Work with national MSA staff and state level ally advisory committee to develop a fundraising plan with benchmarks and goals for ensuring the growth and sustainability of the MSA-MN Chapter.
- Deep commitment to a vision of racial, social, and economic justice and to building the collective voice of small business owners in Minnesota.
- 2-3 years experience in community/grassroots organizing, political campaigns and/or legislative work.
- Experience working in coalition to develop and implement legislative and electoral strategies.
- Experience with foundation, individual donor or membership fundraising strategies.
- Strong canvassing and/or door knocking skills.
- Strong written and verbal skills, and ability to listen.
- Ability to produce consistent, quality work in a fast-paced environment.
- Willingness and ability to travel around the state on a regular basis and work flexible hours required.
- Ability to work independently and strong time management skills.
- Strong facilitation skills.
- Computer skills (word processing, spreadsheet & database, Power Point, electronic communication).
- Ability to speak Spanish or other languages a plus.
- Experience with national campaigns or large municipal/state coalitions a plus.
- A passion for organizing and a sense of humor.
- There will be an evaluation after the first month, again at the six-month mark, then ongoing at the end of each year.
- Generous benefits, including health and dental coverage, retirement contributions, paid vacation, personal days, and holidays, as per personnel policies.
Inclusion Statement: We are looking for committed, enthusiastic people with a sense of humor to join our organizing team! The Alliance for a Just Society and Main Street Alliance are committed to equal opportunity, and are considering applicants of all races, gender, ages, sexual orientations, national origins, ethnicities, religion, and abilities. We urge people of color, and experienced organizers and activists of all backgrounds, to apply.
Do you like this post?