THE MAIN STREET ALLIANCE OF VERMONT IS HIRING!
Deadline to apply: Open until filled (applicants will be considered on a rolling basis).
Job Title: Main Street Alliance of Vermont Small Business Organizer
Position Summary: The Small Business Organizer will conduct outreach to small business owners and support businesses working with The Main Street Alliance of Vermont, an affiliate of the national Main Street Alliance network and a project of the Alliance for a Just Society, to advance public policies that benefit small business owners, their employees, and the communities they serve. The Main Street Alliance of Vermont Small Business Organizer will work with Main Street Alliance staff to develop a coordinated organizing plan, conduct direct canvass-based outreach, help develop and implement a grassroots fundraising plan, develop small business leaders, and connect small business owners to opportunities to impact decision-makers, opinion leaders, and the media. This position requires frequent travel around the state.
The Main Street Alliance of Vermont Small Business Organizer reports The Main Street Alliance of Vermont State Director.
The responsibilities of The Main Street Alliance of Vermont Small Business Organizer relate primarily to outreach/recruitment, leadership development, and mobilization of small business owners in our network to engage decision-makers, the media, and the public in support of public policy issues like health care reform, fair taxes, and community-centered workplace policy reform. Responsibilities include:
- Work with Vermont and national Main Street Alliance staff to develop a coordinated small business outreach plan for the state, and participate in the development of the national Main Street Alliance network.
- Conduct small business recruitment in key areas around the state using direct canvass-based outreach to small business owners.
- Work with Vermont Main Street Alliance staff to develop a network communications plan for small business owners working with Main Street Alliance of VT.
- Coordinate and implement network communications plan.
- Recruit and train volunteers/interns to participate in small business outreach.
- Identify and develop small business leadership/spokesperson teams for direct engagement with decision-makers, media opportunities, legislative testimony, peer outreach, and leadership training.
- Engage emerging small business leaders in peer outreach and research – collecting petitions and surveys – to develop leadership and build resources for research products.
- Coordinate and implement meetings and events in key areas around the state for a variety of purposes including: to provide education, to build local small business leadership teams, to engage small business owners more deeply in public policy issues, to identify potential small business spokespeople and candidates for a coalition steering committee, to create media opportunities for small business leaders, or for other purposes as identified.
- Organize small business owners in The Main Street Alliance of Vermont network to participate in events or actions hosted by other or partner organizations to elevate the voice of small business owners and impact public debate.
- Help to develop and implement a grassroots fundraising plan to support the work of The Main Street Alliance of Vermont.
- Deep commitment to a vision of racial, gender, social, and economic justice and to building the collective voice of small business owners in Vermont.
- 2 years experience in community/grassroots organizing, political campaigns and/or legislative work.
- Strong canvassing and/or door knocking skills.
- Experience with grassroots fundraising preferred.
- Strong written, verbal, and interpersonal skills.
- Strong analytic ability and capacity to understand and effectively communicate complex policy issues.
- Ability to produce consistent, high quality work in a fast-paced environment.
- Willingness and ability to travel around the state on a regular basis and to work flexible hours.
- Ability to work independently, solid time management skills.
- Strong facilitation skills.
- Computer skills (word processing, spreadsheet & database management, Power Point, electronic communications, social media and website management).
- Experience with local or national campaign work a plus.
- There will be an evaluation after 6 months, then ongoing at the end of each year.
- Position is part-time: 60% FTE, with the opportunity to increase to Full Time in the next year.
- Salary will be based on an FTE of between $40,000 - $45,000, depending on experience.
- Competitive paid time off benefit at 60% FTE.
- Generous benefits for Full Time staff also include health, dental, and retirement contributions.
We are looking for committed, enthusiastic people with a sense of humor and a strong work ethic to join our Vermont team and grow our organization. The Alliance for a Just Society and Main Street Alliance are committed to equal opportunity, and encourage applicants of all races, gender, ages, sexual orientations, national origins, ethnicities, religion, and abilities.
Do you like this post?